Updated: December 21, 2022
We value your privacy and believe that being transparent about the information we capture, and how it will be used, can empower you to have more control over your personally identifiable information. This policy outlines these details, including how we will respect your information and communication preferences as we work to strengthen our relationship with you over time. We collect guest data to enable us to provide the best experience possible and to enable you to discover the best possible products and services for the experience you seek.
Who We Are
Boyne USA, Inc., d.b.a. Boyne Resorts owns and operates the following resorts and properties. This policy applies to any of the interactions that you could have with any of these properties:
- Avalanche Bay Indoor Waterpark, MI, USA
- Bay Harbor Golf Club, Bay Harbor, MI, USA
- Big Sky Resort, Big Sky, MT, USA
- Boyne Country Sports
- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA
- Grand Rapids, MI, USA
- Novi, MI, USA
- Petoskey, MI, USA
- Traverse City, MI, USA
- Wixom, MI, USA
- BOYNE Golf, Boyne Falls, MI, USA
- Boyne Mountain, Boyne Falls, MI, USA
- Boyne Real Estate, Boyne Falls, MI, USA
- Brighton Resort, Brighton, UT, USA
- Country Club of Boyne, Harbor Springs, MI, USA
- Crooked Tree Golf Club, Petoskey, MI, USA
- Cypress Mountain, Vancouver, British Columbia, CAN
- Gatlinburg SkyLift Park, Gatlinburg, TN, USA
- Inn at Bay Harbor and Cottages at Bay Harbor, Bay Harbor, MI, USA
- Loon Mountain Resort, Lincoln, NH, USA
- Sugarloaf, Carrabassett Valley, ME, USA
- Sunday River, Bethel, ME, USA
- The Highlands, Harbor Springs, MI, USA
- The Summit at Snoqualmie, Snoqualmie Pass, WA, USA
When and How We Collect Data
Boyne Resorts collects personally identifiable information at various touchpoints throughout a guest's journey with Boyne Resorts, including:
- Purchases at our resorts through any purchase channel
- Lodging, spa, and tee time reservations
- Equipment rental forms
- Snowsports school, lesson, and resort activity forms
- Golf club membership forms
- Spa and fitness center membership forms
- Forms, registrations, inquiries submitted on our websites
- Fishing and guide service registrations
- BoyneRewards membership and account
- Cookies, pixels, log files and device ID are captured on our mobile apps and websites
- When a season pass or lift ticket is scanned
- Device information and timing from a guest when connected to onsite wifi
- Website browsing activity, visitation timing, heatmaps, and session recordings
- Interactions with our brands through social media
- From a third-party data provider to validate or improve guest profiles
- Surveys and other feedback submitted to us
- In-resort beacons and location data services that are connected to our mobile apps and websites
- When purchasing through a 3rd party a product/service that provides access to our resorts and that 3rd party shares guest and transaction information
Overview of Data Collected
During the normal course of business, Boyne Resorts may collect any of these types of information from guests:
- Data that identifies a particular guest (names, email, addresses, phone, date of birth)
- Transaction information (products purchased, payment information including credit card, billing addresses and other information required for us to complete a transaction and successfully deliver the products or services purchased)
- Survey feedback (guest experience at a resort, with a particular department, staff member, or other feedback share with us)
- Demographic data (age, household income, skier/snowboard ability level, guest connection with other guests, family status, life stage, and personality profile)
- Interests (what products a guest expresses interest in, or what we think a guest is interested in)
- Onsite behavior (which lifts are used to access the mountain, location and time that a guest validates a pass or ticket product, and locations where purchases are made)
- Website behavioral information (pages viewed on our websites, including how long each is viewed, links and buttons clicked and interaction with certain components of our websites, products viewed, products added to a cart, and products in a cart that were not purchased)
- Engagement information (engagement with marketing messaging including whether or not an email is opened, a link was clicked, an advertisement was viewed, and our social media is followed)
Where Data is Stored
We have developed databases that hold guest information, with best practices used to secure and protect that data from malicious attempts to obtain all or parts of that data. There are always weaknesses in any technology solution, so we cannot guarantee that we are able to protect that data against all malicious attacks, but we unwaveringly strive to do so.
These databases are hosted on secure servers that we maintain at our properties, or on secure servers maintained by 3rd party providers that we have partnered with to help us provide a great guest experience.
Who Has Access to Data
Boyne Resorts limits access to guest data to certain personnel at our resorts, including information technology team members that maintain the systems that contain the guest data, marketing team members that are responsible for communicating information to our guests, guest service team members that are responsible for delivering products and services purchased, and business analysts that are responsible for financial reporting and/or other analysis to ensure the health of our business.
This data is shared internally between our resorts and properties, and it may be shared with 3rd parties that we have partnered with to deliver a shared product or service, such as Alterra and participation in their Ikon Pass product. For purposes of providing a service or enabling our business, the data could also reside with service providers that help us manage data for marketing purposes, mobile app service providers, survey providers, and advertising service providers.
How We Use Data
Boyne Resorts uses guest data to deliver products and services purchased and suggest relevant products and services help guests achieve the best possible experience while visiting our resorts. We also analyze this data to identify purchase behavior, trends, and other information to help us improve our products and services over time.
Unless unsubscribed from our marketing communications, inquirers, customers, and guests may receive email messages, SMS text messages, targeted advertising on social media and other 3rd party websites, direct mail, phone calls, or other forms of marketing message delivery from us.
We do not knowingly collect information from a child under the age of 13 on our websites or mobile apps without the prior consent of the child’s parent or legal guardian.
Limits on Control
Our sites may include links to 3rd parties, and once a visitor leaves one of our websites, we cannot control or access the information that 3rd party collects. We allow 3rd party businesses (including restaurants, retail stores, lodging, and other service providers) to operate at some of our resorts and they may collect information from guests and visitors.
Opting Out of Marketing Messaging
Opting out of our marketing messaging from any of our resorts can be done at any time. Use any of the following methods to opt-out:
- Opt-out online: Click the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any of our marketing emails.
- Opt-out by phone. Call us at 231.439.4750 to request a change or opt-out of marketing messaging.
- Opt-out by email. Email us to request a change or opt-out of marketing messaging at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Opt-out by mail. Mail a letter to request a change or opt-out of marketing messaging to: Boyne Resorts, 3951 Charlevoix Avenue, Petoskey, Michigan 49770
Once submitted, the process to opt out of our marketing messaging may take up to 14 days after receiving a request. This time is necessary to ensure each request is processed appropriately. Messaging may still be received from us during this 14-day period.
Requesting to Remove Your Data
When we receive a request to remove a guest’s data, we send a written communication confirming receipt of the request. We may request additional information, which may include personal data, if necessary to verify a guest’s identity and nature of the request.
Due to the nature of some systems and maintaining data integrity within those systems, the outright removal of guest data may not be possible. In these cases, every attempt is made to anonymize or pseudonymize the data so that it is not identifiable.
In some circumstances, we simply may not be able to comply with a request, such as if the data is required to fulfill or honor delivery of products or services, maintain a high standard of guest service, if the request is frivolous or extremely impractical, if it jeopardizes the rights of others, or if it is not required by law.
The process to remove personal data may take up to 30 days. This time is necessary to ensure each request is processed appropriately. Messaging may still be received from us during this 30-day period.
Supplementation of Information
Boyne Resorts may use a 3rd party to keep guest contact information current and validate or improve the accuracy of the guest profile that Boyne Resorts maintains. In addition to providing other information, this 3rd party may validate mailing addresses, including review of change-of-address forms submitted to United States Postal Service. Boyne Resorts' guest database is not updated following this process.
Subject to Change
In the event Boyne Resorts experiences a business transition such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, personally identifiable guest information will likely be among the assets transferred. Notification of such change in ownership or control of guest information will be posted on our website, www.boyneresorts.com.
We reserve the right to disclose personally identifiable information as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on our company.
We may use an outside shipping company to fulfill orders and a credit card processing company to bill for our products and services. These companies do not retain, share, store or use personally identifiable information for any other purposes.
Boyne Resorts' headquarters is in the United States and Boyne Resorts operates businesses in the United States and Canada. To support normal business operations, personal information may be transferred to servers across international boundaries.
Contact us in one of the following ways:
- Phone: 231.439.4750
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: Boyne Resorts, 3951 Charlevoix Avenue, Petoskey, Michigan 49770